Monday, June 1, 2009

Forever a Clipper


Our family has some new expenses coming this fall, Ella's Preschool tuition and more, so I have been inspired to find new ways to cut costs and find money to cover them. I have never really been a coupon clipper - I've tried, but never really followed through. The amount of planning and time investment didn't seem to be worth it to me.

Well, when backed into a corner, we all tend to come out kicking. And kicking I am, with great determination, to reduce our grocery bill in half (OR BETTER). We'll know for sure in a couple months or so how it's going, but so far I'm feeling pretty good about it.

My new mantra...Clip, Clip, Clip, then Clip some more!! I'M SOLD : )
I figure it's easier to show and tell. (If you're like me, visuals always help.) So, check out the picture above and let me share this weekends deals with you.

Shopped at Harris Teeter (triple coupons this week)...I don't frequent Harris Teeter normally, because I feel their prices are a bit higher on average. However, they double coupons everyday and offer triple coupons from time to time. So, you have to do the math and compare with your regular store and decide what's best for you. There are so many items you can get for free with doubling and tripling of coupons, that it is important to make sure you take advantage of those deals. I've learned that stockpiling is a good idea. If I do this thing right, I should rarely have to buy anything at full price. With a stockpile, I should be able to be selective and only buy when something is on sale &/or I have a coupon. In just one month, I am well on my way to a great stockpile (just need somewhere to put it all : ) . So, back to my trip to Harris Teeter :


Total of purchases $166.89
Saved $109.97
Total Out Of Pocket (OOP) $ 56.92
I purchased the following:
Item Qty Price
Tabasco Pepper Sauce (2) FREE
Hunts Manwich Sauce (4) .37ea
Fritos 100 Calorie Packs (2) .64 ea
Frosted Flakes (2) BOGO
Frenches Yellow Mustard (1) FREE
Frenches Honey Mustard (1) .44
Frenches Worchestershire Sauce (1) FREE
Frenches Fried Onions (2) .25ea
Domino Light Brown Sugar (2) .09ea
Swanson Canned Prem. Chunck Wht Chkn(4) 1.88ea
Crisco Puritan Canola Oil w/ Omega 3 (1) 1.54
CBRD ABC/123 (2) .97ea
Spray & Wash Resolve Power (2) 1.65ea
Land O' Lakes Spreadable Butter (1) .60
Daisy Sour Cream (16 oz) (1) .69
Lunchables (full size w/ juice pouch) (4) 1.00 ea
Bandaid (40ct Clear) (2) 1.00 ea
Hefty Easy Grip Plastic Cups (20ct) (1) .34
Dial Basics Soap (3pk) (1) .14
Kraft Salad Dressing (1) .45
Archway Cookies (2) 1.50ea
Ragu Spaghetti Sauce (1) .45
Snickers Bars (4) .50 ea
Off Repellent (1) 1.24
MC Black Pepper (4oz) (1) .25
Hodgson Whole Wheat Spaghetti (1) 1.59
Hodgson Whole Wheat Fettuccini (1) 3.19
Wet Ones Wipes (40ct) (2) .74 ea
Snyders Pretzel Pieces (1) .25
Kettle Salt & Cracked Pepper Chips (1) 2.50
Skintimate Shave Gel (2) FREE
Aged Cube Steak (~1.5lbs) (2) 6.45 total
Marzetti Ceasar Dressing (1) 3.79
Barcardi Daiquiri Mixers (Frozen) (2) 1.25ea

I've made a few mistakes along the way - got a great deal, but a couple of items could have been handled differently for a better savings. All in all I've done pretty good so far!
I've definitely been bitten by the bug and will be clipping away for years to come : )




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see chips were still on the menu:)

Mandy Devine said...

Chips are always on the menu...but definitely in less quantity than I would prefer ;)

Mandy Devine said...

By the way, did you notice they are the only thing that was already opened??? LOL

The Noy Maker said...

Go MANDY! I'm on my way to HT so let's see how I do! We need to keep in mind I'm shopping for 6 so I don't think I'll beat your $56 ;-)

Mandy Devine said...

Hey Jess,

It's all about the percent saved not the $$ amount, so I bet you can save as much as I did : ) Can't wait to hear how you do!!

The Noy Maker said...

Okay, FINALLY we're home!! Had to take a quick trip to BJ's after for a few things! Anyways, I did NOT do as well as you but I did ok! Spent $250 saved $86!

Renee said...

Okay Mandy you have passed the bug onto me. It may take me a little longer to get it going. P.S. I got the hook up on coupons from our mutual friend. I saved all the ones we will not use for you to go through. I'll bring them to small group:)

What I need to know is your process and are you cutting out the work by using our online lady?

I need to get my stockpile of everyday items so that I can get to a place where all I am doing is replenishing with sales and coupons.
So I need you to constantly communicate with me on the triple coupon thingy. I am going to bookmark all of the online store add stuff now so I can be on the lookout.


Also!! Great Job Jess! You have a small army to feed but have to start somewhere!

Back to you Mandy! You must get Keith to put in shelving right outside the door of your garage. Pick up a large plastic or metal shelving unit at lowes or something. Then you can stockpile condiments, can goods and glass bottles or plastics on the shelves and save the inside for boxed and bagged items:) that need to stay safe and dry.
Either that or start filling up under his side of the bed;)


Keep going girlie and call me. When I can I'll tag along.

Renee said...

Hey, Are you also printing coupons off of the internet? and If so Which sites?

Mandy Devine said...

You can tag along anytime Renee...I buy 2 Charlotte Observers each week so I have 2 of each coupon. Any hook up that can be passed along to save me the $4 each week would be much appreciated ;) I do print some coupons online (one good set is from thegrocerygame.com home page). I get others emailed to me, but honestly have not really looked at them much so far. I definitely think thegrocerygame.com helps eliminate much of the work and I will probably go that route. Just don't know which stores I want to follow yet. What I found is that I have not been going to Wal-mart as often to pick up groceries which helps the budget too, because at Wal-mart you always end up buying stuff you didn't go there for...to many temptations there.